-thinking about media-
I
often tell myself that I am not a slave to personal media/popular culture yet I
spend hours taking Buzzfeed quizzes to find out what pie I am or what dreamy
celebrity is my soul mate. Or I regularly stalk acquaintances on Facebook. Or I
read the newest novel in the hottest series. The reality is that media is woven
into every aspect of my life. Granted, unless your living in the mountains,
disconnected from the world (which doesn’t sound half bad), you’re going to
continually be exposed to media. The question is, what do you choose to do with
the media?
I
have my hands in most forms of popular social media: Facebook, Instagram,
Pinterest, Snapchat, Twitter and the newest addition to my repertoire: Tumblr.
I regularly find myself scrolling through each of these, even looking at the
same posts I’ve already looked at five times that day. True, it’s a time
waster, and I often use it as a way to escape social interaction (who doesn’t
pull out their phone on those awkward elevator rides?); however, at the heart of
it, I am very grateful for social media. I have stayed more connected with
people than I ever could have without it. At any moment, I can check on my
friend in Oklahoma or my high school English teacher in Korea. Additionally,
after years of beating myself up for failing to keep a physical written
journal, I realized that Instagram is my journal. I capture my favorite,
memorable, goofy, meaningful moments and post them with a thoughtful caption –
I often scroll through my past posts and reminisce.
The
other forms of social media prove helpful when I’m looking for the perfect
recipe or want to admire fan art or just want a good laugh. They are helpful
and informative and smile inducing.
Before beginning this class, my definition of media was narrow; I limited it to social media and things I see on TV. However, with the top ten assignment, my perception of media has broadened. With that, the list of the media I consume expands. I regularly partake of media in the form of books, articles, music, blogs, movies, TV, and so on. Some of these entertain, while others enrich. Some instruct, while others inspire. And all too often, some distract. It is for this reason that personal guidelines are important when consuming media because it has a powerful effect. While I readily admit that I waste time with media, I do passionately strive to avoid and reject anything that dulls my sense of what is right and what is wrong. I plan to continue with this guideline, particularly as I am an educator and utilize media positively in my classroom – media is a great and powerful tool that, when used appropriately, can bring knowledge and enjoyment.
Before beginning this class, my definition of media was narrow; I limited it to social media and things I see on TV. However, with the top ten assignment, my perception of media has broadened. With that, the list of the media I consume expands. I regularly partake of media in the form of books, articles, music, blogs, movies, TV, and so on. Some of these entertain, while others enrich. Some instruct, while others inspire. And all too often, some distract. It is for this reason that personal guidelines are important when consuming media because it has a powerful effect. While I readily admit that I waste time with media, I do passionately strive to avoid and reject anything that dulls my sense of what is right and what is wrong. I plan to continue with this guideline, particularly as I am an educator and utilize media positively in my classroom – media is a great and powerful tool that, when used appropriately, can bring knowledge and enjoyment.
-M

Comments
Post a Comment